Friday, July 9, 2010

Freshwater Experience



Date:07/07/2010
Freshwater Experience
For my freshwater experience I went to Lover’s Key State Park. When I first stepped out of the car I noticed how silent and peaceful everything around me was. There was a bridge that crossed over a canal and I walked over it and then all the sudden I was scared by a mullet that had jumped out of the water like they typically do. I was amazed that I was scared by the fish because I’m used to such a loud environment like traffic and loud music, and just getting caught up in nature must have made me all the sudden forget all the loudness from back home.
I could tell that many of the surroundings where shaped by the weather. I could see that many of these canals did not seem as man-made as others, I’m not sure if they were or not but they seemed to be more wavy, as to a natural river flow.
The topography was very interesting; I saw many mangroves along the edges of the canals. Along these edges I could also see I great amount of small fish, this showing that this was an important part of the breeding of many species of fish.(I took a picture but it came out somewhat blurry).
I identified several trees such as, sand pines, red mangroves, and what seemed to be some black mangroves in the distance, several carrot-wood trees, and plenty of palm trees. I saw birds such as cardinals, a crow, seagulls, a pelican, and several kite fish in the distance since we were close to the bay and the beach.
What I really liked about this part was that it was really close to the beach so you could see what the inland of Florida was like as well as the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment